Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Thrift to Thrive



















  To paraphrase Jane Austen, it is a truth universally acknowledged that the more you search the better bargains you'll find. Well, I know she didn't exactly have charity shopping in mind but I think most people would agree that with everyone tightening their belts through the recession Britain's second hand shops and car boot sales are experiencing somewhat of a revival. However, perhaps you're like me and sometimes fall victim to the impulse charity buy. Well, just pause right there a second and have a read of a lessons that could help you avoid cluttering up your space with unused items and increase your chances of bagging a gem you'll really get a lot of use out of. Most importantly too.... You save some pennies!



Stick to your wish list. Do you really need or want a plastic pineapple ice bucket or a seen-a-million-of-them-last-year-in-Primark top? Probably not. Make a list. If it's clothes you'd like, try to look for pieces that your wardrobe can support. Sometimes I've bought say, a really stand-out coat, only to never find anything else that really goes with it. That's why most of the time I just want a few things to help me transition into each new season and I turn I try to get rid of a few things I no longer wear.

 Recently my list has been:

90's Style Boyfriend Jeans
Blue or White Men's Shirt
A Tweed Style Jacket/Blazer
A  Coffee Set
A Serving Tray
Cheap Vinyls (For the covers, I don't actually have a record player.
Square Photo Frames
Long Hippy Necklaces



It may have taken three odd months but my persistence paid off with these Wranglers for just £3! True, sometimes you do get lucky but I was so happy when I found these, they were exactly what I had been looking for for. I go make the rounds of my favourite shops every two to three weeks, not only does it increase my chances of finding want I want but many of the staff have gotten to know me and if I'm particularly struggling to find what I'm searching for, sometimes all it confident that they know I'll be back.






I used to buy books like I was stocking a library. While I would love to have a room filled floor to ceiling with books, I can currently only home about a third of the books in my possession, the rest are tucked away in my parents' garage. Not to mention I've moved more times than I can count and they're heavy to cart about. The madness had to stop!

I limit myself to a just two collections now: 80's vinyl's to build on the ones my Dad gave me and orange Penguin print George Orwell books which I only need one or two now to complete. That's it.

Leren's weakness you ask? Retro prints.





Just because it doesn't cost as much as the high street doesn't mean you should compromise and spend money on something you would love less.  You wouldn't spend fifty quid on a pair of shoes you only felt so-so about would you? Fifty pounds or five pounds, it's still a waste.



Just because you're looking doesn't mean you have to buy something. Mostly it's the searching I love. Last summer I spent two weeks in Berlin (which is like... Second hand Mecca) and spent a big chunk of my time looking up all the areas to thrift in, it was such a great way to explore the city! In two weeks I bought 2 items, the dress above and some vintage sunglasses. In fact in the shop I bought the glasses from the guy insisted on actually giving me, what looked like a barely worn three-quarter length coat. Not wanting to be rude I eventually accepted just to donate it to the next charity shop I came across. Why keep something you I don't really want that someone else might deem a treasure?

House of Denham

A one man band design studio specializing in professional blogging, photo styling, film making and art direction for creatives and their businesses. 










No comments:

Post a Comment