Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The art which is tailoring



This last week was my first week back university, and come April I will be saying goodbye to my studies as I will be finally finishing my five years of studying what I love. I would be lying if I said I'm not a little bit emotional, for half a decade I've been a student at Derby university where I've studied art and design and fashion including taking a year out to studied for my diploma in professional practice. My final collection for my degree is inspired by two favourite comic villains which are the Joker and Harley Quinn, instead of just recreating their costumes I have embarked on a journey to really draw out their personas to portray through six outfits! With doing that, I have been learning the art of tailoring so I can successfully make three tailored suits all with different concepts to reference the Joker, although I have been pattern cutting for the last four years I have realised that tailoring is a completely a different ball game! This week I have cried, ranted, stamped my feet and for the first time in a long time felt anxious. I know it takes time to perfect a new skill and I'm all for being patient I'm just feeling anxious and stressed with knowing I have to perfect something in three months that professional tailors have worked towards all their life's. On the plus side the university has a fantastic tailor who has been tailoring all his life, he's been a huge help and guided me through the drafting of the pattern, towards the end of the week I successfully manufactured the shell together so I'm feeling a lot more positive.

Through the years of me working and studying within the fashion industry, tailoring has always been something that has interested me. I love the history behind it and how, although fashion has evolved, the classic tailored suits will always be apart of our world! This is why it's a skill I want and have always wanted to learn, I really feel it will benefit my career but not only that, it will give me a new market to branch out to...menswear!

No comments:

Post a Comment